I had an opportunity to review a copy of Madonna’s latest album, Rebel Heart, which is the 13th album for The Material Girl.
Let me start by telling you a bit about the album itself. Rebel Heart was released on Interscope Records on March 10th. The album features 19 tracks and includes collaborations with Nicki Minaj, Kanye West, Nas, Chance the Rapper and Mike Tyson.
“Rebel Heart explores two very distinct sides of my personality, the rebellious renegade side of me and the romantic side of me” commented Madonna recently in Billboard.
I feel as though I should say it also comes with a parental advisory for explicit content. But, come on, it’s Madonna – if it didn’t have explicit content I think I would have been disappointed! lol
Growing up in the 80’s and early 90’s, Madonna was a staple in my cassette player. I think my favorite album of hers is still Like a Virgin, but I also have other songs that I love from most of her albums. She’s also from Michigan, which is a plus in my book!
But let’s get to Rebel Heart.
I love this album!
I’m not going to go through all of the tracks – did I mention there are 19 of them?! This album is packed full of awesome music. It was really hard to narrow it down to my top 5.
1. Living for Love ~ I am adding this song to my walking playlist. It has a great beat and if I danced, it would be great to dance to. I can see this being a popular song for clubs. When I hear it I can feel the beat and see disco lights! LOL Seriously though, I think it’s upbeat and has great lyrics about living for love “love’s gonna lift me up.”
2. Devil Pray ~ I have a thing for religious type of songs, even if it’s not really religious or appropriate for religion. This is one of those songs. I love the beginning…and then when you get to the chorus, I was like…”what the?” But it’s still a favorite… a top 5 favorite! I like the message, I like the sound. I am not explaining it well. lol Sorry… What I got out of it is that we can do a lot of things to hide from things, but what we need to do is pray. Sappy of me maybe…but that’s what I got.
3. Bitch I’m Madonna ~ First let me say…not a Nikki Minaj fan and this song features her. However, I read a blog (which I saved the link!) where the blogger reviewed this album and had said something along the lines that it was about time Madonna made a song like this. And seriously…Bitch, she’s Madonna! Who do you think you are? Step off, step down…!! I kept that in mind when I listened to it…and minus the rap in the middle – sorry…just not a NM fan! – I love this song.
4. Illuminati ~ This is one of my top faves because I love the sound of it. It will also probably be added to my walking playlist. It’s not particularly fast, but it’s got a good beat. I don’t really have an opinion other than I just like the sound of the song. I pressed repeat on my iPhone when I heard this song the first time. I was stuck in traffic and was jamming. lol
5. Ghosttown ~ Parts of this song to me have a classic Madonna ballad sound. I loved this song immediately. This is the Madonna of my youth.
I just realized all my favorites are in the first half of the album. I did listen to the whole thing, I swear!!
Honorable Mention will go to Rebel Heart. Cliche perhaps to like the title track, but it’s a great upbeat song and is another one I think would be great to work out/dance to.
Above when I said I liked the religious type songs, this album has a couple more religious sounding titles: Holy Water, Joan of Arc, and Messiah.
Madonna is also going on Tour! For details, click here or the graphic above. She’s coming to Michigan in October!
Purchase Rebel Heart now on iTunes: http://bit.ly/REBELHEART
Find Madonna online:
- Official Madonna website: Madonna.com
- Twitter – Twitter.com/Madonna
- Instagram – instagram.com/Madonna
- YouTube – YouTube.com/Madonna
If you have listened to Madonna’s Rebel Heart… what did you think? I’d love to hear! Leave a comment.
I participated in the Madonna Rebel Heart album review program as a member of One2One Network. I was provided an album to review but all opinions are my own.